Thursday, July 26, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

365 Days ago Katie gave us the greatest gifts we could ever have imagined. At 7:58, 7:59 and 8:00 am on July 26th 2011 Christopher Larkin, Margaret Lyn and Benjamin Kade Fordham were born at Centennial Hospital in Nashville, TN. All the preparation, care and love we had done and that had built up could not prepare Katie and I for the feelings we would have for our three perfect children. For years and years I told anyone who would listen that I would never have children. I was so selfish that I couldn't imagine having to give up my life for the sacrifice and demands that come with parenthood. Man was I wrong. As I sit here today typing this blog I honestly can't imagine life without my children. They are my life. I laugh at them. I laugh with them. I laugh on them. I love them more than anything in this world. And Their gift to me has been the privilege of watching them grow. I remember one year ago today as clear as if it were just yesterday. From not being able to sleep with anticipation to my discussion outside the operating room with the random redneck to Katie trembling like a leaf in the OR as our babies were being born. I remember seeing and hearing Larkin for the first time. All grey blue and a wild ball of arms and legs flayling around. I remember watching with amazement as Kade pee'd on the medical team as they were working feveriously to help him begin his life in this world. Of course, I remember my first thought when I saw Maggie :) Quickly followed by my second thought which was how perfect she was. I remember coming out of the OR with the babies in their "incubator" with all our family waiting outside to meet them. I remember taking everyone up in teams of 4 to meet the babies for the first time. I remember all of it. As Katie can attest to, I don't have the greatest of memories but I am so happy that i have still retained that day. I only pray that my imperfect mind will allow me to always remember it. This past year has not always been easy. It has not always been fun. This past year has changed my life in ways that I never would have imagined. Being a parent of Three children at one time is not easy. Every second that we are home from work there is something that needs be done. Every day requires commitment, dedication and love. Every week speeds by like a blur. Every month our kids change in so many wonderful ways. No, this has not been the easiest year for Katie and I. However, this has without doubt been the best year of our life. From going to the hospital every day to see the kids in the NICU, to doing our "Sleep In" at the hospital with Maggie, to bringing the boys home and having our first night together as a family this year has been a magical one. I honestly am having a hard time believing that it has been a year already. It seems like only yesterday Kade was rolling over for the first time. Or we were still having to burp Maggie a little more often because she needed a little more attention. It seems like only yesterday that I would stare at Larkin's face while I rocked him to sleep trying to memorize it forever. It seems like only yesterday that we were first starting to give the kids oatmeal or that they could sit up on their own. It seems like only yesterday that Maggie declared herself the winner in the fastest to walk contest by simply standing up and taking off.  This time last year we had absolutely no idea what parenthood would be like. Katie and I were reading blogs posted by some parents of multiples in an effort to try and learn any tricks we could to make our life easier. I remember one of those blogs in particular. It was from a family in Texas where the father talked about how much his life had changed in the past year since his Triplets sons were born. He spoke to how he and his wife used to go listen to bands all the time and had this vibrant social life. He talked about being in his mid 30's, set in his ways without any children yet or a care in the world. His life was so different now he said. All he and his wife talked or worried about now was how the boys were doing. Even on the rare occasion that they were able to get out by themselves their conversation always centered around the boys needs. I remember reading this and thinking to myself "man this is going to be tough and I'm not sure I have what it takes to do it." I also remember Katie and I just praying that we could make it to one year. Promising each other that no matter what life threw our way we would stick together and make it work. We knew it would be the toughest 12 months of our life. And without a doubt, it was. But while I read that mans blog the 1st year he spoke of seemed so far off. It felt like an eternity away. I felt like we would never get there......   Well, sweetie, we made it! Together we have gotten through a very demanding year. Together we found a way to make our life work. Together we implemented a plan to maximize our love for our kids and each other. And together we will continue to do everything in our power to build a family that we will be proud of. I am so proud of us and our family already. I am so happy that our love and hard work is paying off. I am so amazed by our beautiful children. And most importantly, I am so proud of YOU!!! The Kids and I am in awe of your work ethic, love, beauty, laughter and loyalty everyday. You are truly our Superwoman! Yes this is this Kids day. It is a day that will always be celebrated in a big way for them. At the same time though, this day is just as much about our love as it is about their life. Without our love first there would have never been their life. I love you sweetie and am truly blessed to be walking through this beautiful journey by your side!!!

So, Happy Birthday to Larkin, Maggie and Kade! And Happy First year birth celebration to my beautiful wife. I've put together some pictures of each of the kids along with some of their nicknames over the past year below. Enjoy

LARKIN - AKA - Meatball, Lumpy, BB, Budinzky, Larkeypoo and Dozier
























MAGGIE - AKA- Lil Bit, Angel, Tiny Tot and Princess






























KADE - AKA - Weezy, Monkey Man, Kade Man, Sugar Lips, Chill Bump and Hercules





























No comments:

Post a Comment